Red velvet cake is one of the most popular cakes in Nigeria. It is known for its red colour and unique taste. This cake is used in social events like weddings and anniversaries because of its elegance. Plus it is super easy the make. In this article, we will teach you how to make red velvet cake right here in Nigeria.
What is Red Velvet Cake?
Let’s start by knowing what Red velvet cake is!
Red velvet cake is a classic American dessert known for its red colour and addictive taste. It is called “velvet” because of its fluffy and light texture.
Although it’s technically a chocolate cake, it should not be confused with a chocolate cake.
How to Make Red Velvet Cake in Nigeria
Making simple red velvet cake is easy and below is the Nigeria way of making red velvet cake.
Ingredients for a Simple Red Velvet Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole Milk
- 2 tsp baking Powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole Yogurt (yoghurt helps the cake to remain fluffy, moist, and light. Plus it gives the cake its zesty undertone and an old-fashioned flavour.)
- 2 Tbs red food colouring ( this gives it the red colour. The quantity you add determines how red the cake will be)
Note: if you decide to use salted butter in making your red velvet cake, please only use a pinch of salt or do not use any salt.
For the frosting:
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
Directions for a simple red velvet cake recipe
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Get two cake pans, grease and dust them with some flour.
- Get a clean medium bowl and sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt(if you are using it) together and keep aside.
- Get another clean bowl, add the butter and sugar to it and cream them until it is fluffy and light. Use a big bowl to allow you to mix your ingredients easily.
- Then add the eggs one by one into the mixture and whisk until it is fully mixed with the sugar and butter mixture. That is, add one egg and mix, add another egg and mix and so on til the eggs you are using are exhausted.
- After that, add the milk, yoghurt, vanilla extract, and food colouring to the mixture. Mix them thoroughly until the yoghurt is completely melted into the mixture.
- Now, add a little bit of the flour, followed by cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt, and end with the remaining flour.
- After doing this, fold the cake batter gently with a spatula to ensure that the mixture is incorporated well.
- Divide the cream batter evenly into the two cake pans you set aside earlier.
- Place the two pans carefully into the heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the pan on a wire rack until you can handle them easily. Then remove them from the pan and allow the cake to cool down on a wire rack. A clean tray can help, if you don’t have a wire rack.
- Leave the cake to cool before you start frosting. (Take this seriously)
For the Frosting
- After your cake cools down, you can begin frosting it. Below is how to make frost for a velvet cake.
- Get a clean small pot, add flour, and milk, and whisk together.
- Then, cook on medium-low heat until it thickens up like custard.
- Remove it from the heat and pour it into a bowl.
- Cover the surface of the heated mixture directly with plastic wrap so it won’t dry out. Then, allow it to completely cool at room temperature.
- Get another clean bowl and cream the sugar, vanilla extract, unsalted butter, and flour together until it is fluffy and light. Then, add the cooled mixture from earlier and whisk again til the mixture is fluffy, creamy, and light.
- You can now frost your cake as your heart desires and enjoy.
- After frosting your cake, store it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It should last up to 5 days without spoiling.
- If you want your red velvet cake to be soft when eating it, remove it 15 to 20 minutes before serving it.
Tips for Making the Best Red Velvet Cake
- Make sure all the ingredients you will use are at room temperature for the best results.
- Allow the cake to cool down before frosting.
- Before decorating the cake, make sure that the frosting is cooled down completely.
- You can use buttermilk if you do not have yoghurt.
- If you are using salted butter, please use a pinch of salt or no salt at all.
Conclusion: How to Make Red Velvet Cake in Nigeria
Red Velvet cake is one of the most delicious cakes you can make in Nigeria. It is known for its colour and elegance. We have come to the end of the process of how to make red velvet cake in Nigeria and We hope you found this article helpful.